A couple of decades ago, the general consensus was that braces are associated with children and teens, not adults. Today, 1 in 5 patients undergoing orthodontic treatment is an adult.
In the past, adults have been put off by braces altering their appearance during the treatment period, often worried what their colleagues or clients would think of them.
Why are braces now more popular with adults than in the past?
- More ‘invisible’ brace types such as Invisalign, clear fixed braces or Incognito, which are discreet options combining the same level of quality treatment as fixed metal braces.
- Minor orthodontic issues with visible teeth (front teeth) can now be corrected in very short time periods. Here at Park Lane, we offer our own range of ‘limited objectives’ treatment called ‘Smile Rapide’ for those who do not want comprehensive treatment but are looking to specifically improve the cosmetic appearance of visible teeth for an event such as a wedding or special occasion. This option can take several months to a year to yield great results. With options such as this on the table, adults have a greater incentive to seek treatment than in the past.
- Stigma has much to do with culture and who is doing what in the public eye, which filters down to influence people worldwide. Many celebrities have been wearing braces which has made sporting them much more of a normal thing to do.
- Removable brace types (Invisalign, clear aligners) allow the patient to be responsible for their own treatment, removing the braces at the intervals that suit them. This also does not limit patients with the foods that they eat, as braces can be removed – another huge benefit for adults who do not wish to change their diet.
- Easier to keep on top of dental hygiene – with removable brace options, you don’t have to make changes to your dental health routine as you would with fixed brace methods.
If you would like to arrange a consultation to discuss options for treatment, please do not hesitate to contact us.